Thread: GPH?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchillesTangBeauty View Post
We have a 270 Gallon Display Tank + 60 Gallon Refuge & 100 gallon sump.. We are currently running 3200GPH through the system using a Reeflo Dart... That works out to changing the water 8 times an hour... Is this too much? What's recommended?

-Mostly Softies.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
8x per hour isn't quite accurate, nor is it as simple as you've laid out.

First, depending exactly which Dart model you have (the hybrid Snapper or an older model?) about 3700 gph at 0' head height. Head height is the vertical distance from the pump to the water surface or the highest point of plumbing - whichever is greater. Assuming about 5' head height, and minus about 50 gph for average plumbing, there is about 2800 gph coming out the return line. Of course I'm guessing here, and assuming a simple plumbing job.

Now, how is the refugium plumbed? Does the entire volume of the sump also flow through the refugium or is there a smaller volume going through the refugium or is the refugium fed by a different pump? The full volume of the refugium may not count towards the total volume.

Assuming the full volume of the refugium counts, you're closer to 6.5 times turnover through the sump which is what I consider "perfect".

Personally, I try to keep the flow through the sump between 5-7 times per hour.

SPS fanatic.