View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
Well may need to work in my precision testing skills just a touch. I learned from having the calcium checker that these things can be super finicky. I was never able to get anywhere near consistent back to back readings with the calcium checker so ended up selling it and sticking with Salifert.
The calcium checker is horrible. It's not your fault. That checker is NOT user friendly, and few people can report consistent, repeatable results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
Potatohead & Mindy: May put a microfibre towel with the checkers from now on, good idea.
Mindy: Not sure about drying the vial inside with paper towel before testing, i'd wonder about getting fibres left behind in the vial? Good call on leaving the vial out for the 3 minutes countdown to give it one more shake, will try this. Do you think rinsing it with hot water makes any difference? I just use cold usually
The hot water rinse and drying at the end is to remove any blue residue inside the vial since the blue color (which may or may not actually be visible to you) sticks to the vial, and over time will leave a "stain" that takes some serious scrubbing to remove, and because of the shape of the vial scrubbing is difficult. The tank water rinse at the beginning is to remove any fibers from the drying of the vial before storage. Since tap water could easily throw off the readings I use tank water. I doubt there are any fibers introduced when I clean the top of the vial curing the process as I'm really just putting it gently in the opening and the paper towel wicks any drops out, there isn't much movement of the paper towel.

SPS fanatic.