View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Elegance

Same thing happened to mine. It was well on it's way out so as a last resort here's what I did:

1. Get a shallow 10gallon container. I used the blue tupperware type from canadian tire.
2. Fill with 5 gallon fresh saltwater same temperature, salinity and pH as tank.
3. Place a small pump in the corner of the container. Water movement was circular and strong enough to circulate around the container but not so strong as to move the coral around. (I used a small pump from a big mombosa skimmer)
4. Place coral inside container and move to semi open window with indirect sunlight. This was during summer and NO heater in the container.

I read that the corals may have been harvested from deeper (darker/cooler) ocean and need to get acclimated to our warmer brighter tanks. I had nothing to loose when I tried this and I noticed improvement within a day. Over about 1 week, Coral continued to improve and expanded in the container. Temperature was about 65F. I lowered the temperature of my main tank to as low as I felt safe and raised the container temperature to match. When ready, I moved the elegance to the main tank under a cave (no direct light). Coral expanded almost instantly. I was able to slowly move it to direct light and raise temperature over a couple weeks. If this is a disease, the lower temperature / less light may be enough to eradicate.

Keep salinity constant and replace evaporation with ro/di water. No food was given and the white stringy stuff disapeared almost overnight. Strange, I also had a white crab that I speared with a toothpick.

Hope this helps.