View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
hey albert whats your thought on the closed loop returns from the bottom, after thinking about it all day its soundig like my best possibility.my tank is not wide nor long...8.5" is tight, i can have 4 return lines coming out from the bottom with a inch of pvc buried in rubble, and i can have one large drain at the top.

it wold look clean without any equipment or pvc showing and i would still get a good turnover.

im thinking i could do one powerhead either pointed straight down from the feedline or straight across to the glass .....do you think if i added the powerhead it would cause to much turbulance or do you think the closed loop with all the flow rising is a good idea??
Well, not that it's the most helpful statement, but it is what it is. Personally, I'm not a fan of closed loops. They're not so great when it comes to flow/efficiency, reduce your flexibility when it comes to aquascaping and you always have to be mindful of the intake grill. Not to mention that, as you describe it, you have an inch of rubble/substrate that needs to cover the PVC. I would cringe to think of how much detritus you'd collect in that over the course of a year. Consider the nature of Azoox feeding routines...

Powerheads suffer from none of these problems and, with some creative planning, can be relatively unobtrusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
the cleanup crew you bring up now is a good point, im already having a hard time in my bonsai with the overfeeding and pods i can imagine ill have the same problem in this tank sooooo.......i wont have anyroom for anything that moves lol any ideas??
You'll have room for brittle/serpent stars man. They don't walk around except at night and don't require a lot of space to hide during the day. If you get the banded serpent stars, they'll be largely invisible, no big waving arms all over the place during feeding them