View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 05:11 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Are you planning on this to be a 1 day event?
If so, I'd stay away from the planned live sand. It in itself will cause a cycle 'spike' that I'd not want to deal with. The 'dead matter' in the so-called 'live' sand will create ammonia that you do not want right now.
If you are able to store enough old Water Change water, I'd suggest you hang onto it all. The less 'new' saltwater you use the better.

If you're looking for some bacterial support during your transfer, put a large amount of filter material in your sump a month ahead of time.
If you don't have time for this, use Seachem Stability or something similar. And use LOTS of it.
Follow the bottle instructions, and make sure you aerate the water very well.
And I'm not kidding, you're going to use LOTS of it, so make sure you buy enough for at least a week.
Also, buy a Seachem Ammo ALERT Badge. This will be very helpful and may save you losing critters.
And finally, be prepared to perform very large water changes if ammonia gets too high. Or at the very least, buy some Am Guard or something similar and keep it close by. Check it every couple/few hours if you can. Ammonia can kill critters faster than I thought and I've lost enough to know better now.
Am Guard used in conjunction with the Ammo Alert is easy. Just don't over-do it. Follow the instructions.
And, as I already stated, be prepared to perform large water changes. 25-50% if needed.
Also, keep an eye on your Nitrites and Nitrates once you see Ammonia. You are going to have a cycle and must keep an eye on it !!!

Good luck !!