View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Interesting to note: When using the NIST thermometer to compare to client in-tank thermometers, ALL in-tank thermometers read LOWER than the NIST thermometer. I'm not sure if that is just fluke, or if that's typical (will need to do a lot more testing), but it's certainly a good thing to make note of. This evidence suggests, that if anything, your tank is warmer than you think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Where did you pick up the NIST thermometer ?
There are several options on Amazon.ca under $100. Search Amazon.ca, "NIST thermometer", and you will see many options. Also try "traceable thermometer" and you will get even more results.

I bought this one. It looks different than the pic though. There is an on/off button, and a C/F button. The temperature settles pretty quick too. It's only accurate to +/- 1C though, so I might try to find a bit more accurate one next time.

This one is accurate to 0.2C for $80, and I'll probably give it a shot for my next one.

Ooooh, look at this one! Option of waterproof probe sensors, accuracy to 0.3C, and alarms settable to 0.1C increments! $105. Or, use your aquarium controller and calibrate with a cheaper NIST thermometer.

For $40, I figure I can replace it yearly or so rather than get it recalibrated. I haven't found anywhere to recalibrate it, and I imagine it would cost more than $40 anyway...?? For someone keeping it in the house, it probably doesn't need calibration as often, but mine will be in the car all year round and exposed to temperatures -40C to probably 50C in the car in the summer. i know my refractometer doesn't even keep calibration for a week in the winter when it's super cold.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-27-2017 at 01:58 PM.