View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Been keeping a mixture of Tisbe copepods and rotifers going for over 3 years. Easiest copepod I have ever kept. If I go away, I bottle them up put them in the fridge, Once home they start up like a charm. Keep them in two large jars with an airstone and the water a light brown colour from the phyto feast. I syphon off the stuff that collects at the bottom every day and feed that to my tank and add fresh salt water.

I tried Tigger pods (Tigriopus) twice and both times had trouble keeping their numbers up and after a month or two they crashed. I ran them at the same time as my other culture and tried to keep them the same way. I found I couldn't keep the population high enough to eat the food and it was likely the food (phyto feast) that went rancid and polluted the water. I also tried them with rotifers but the rotifers outcompeted them and they just eventually died off. I might have had more success using live phytoplankton, some suggest you will have better luck if you have some macro algae in their container, however I am not going to put that level of work into it, if I want tigger pods I will just buy them. I am not the only one who has had problems with Tigger Pods.