View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What brand of salt are you using? The calcium is high and the alkalinity is borderline low. In a FOWLR tank it doesn't matter much, but I'm curious why it is out of balance so far. People usually use Instant Ocean for FOWLR tanks and it would then have calcium around 380 ppm and alkalinity around 8-9 dKH (145 - 165 ppm).

Nitrite isn't toxic in saltwater tanks like it is in freshwater, so you can go ahead and add a cleanup crew. I would suggest you only add a few at a time depending on your tank size. Usually clean up crew "packages" are GROSSLY over-stocked. If you plan on stocking your tank with predatory fish like Triggers, Puffers, and Lionfish then I would suggest you buy large Trochus or Turbo Snails as they will usually survive. Small snails, hermits, and shrimp will be a snack for predatory fish. Try stocking Trochus and Turbo snails about one per 10 gallons, but start with one per 20 gallons and see how they do. It's easy to add snails, but it sucks to see them die from starvation.

SPS fanatic.