View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Probably some of the best $$$ I've spent for my system. I have two in my 77 gal 4 ft tank and I reckon you'll more than likely want/need two for your 5 footer. I did start with a single pump as well though, sticker shock was definitely a factor when I took the plunge. Purchased the first one new over a year and a half ago and got the second about six months ago from a reefer on another forum site who was unloading a bunch of new MP40Ws due to a change of plans. So I ended up getting both for less than $500 since the first one I purchased was still a Gen 1 (just before they came out with the Gen 2) and they were a little cheaper than they are now. The second was a deal since the hobbyist obviously couldn't sell them on a forum for full retail price.

1.) I currently only have softies and an LPS Hammer coral, no SPS. They're all doing famously and I can't really say whether the VorTechs have made that much of a difference, since it's difficult to see changes like that over an extended period of time and there may be other factors at work. What I can say is that even after installing the first MP40W, so much crap and crud started coming out of the LR and off the substrate with the flow and undertow created by this single pump, I could hardly believe where it was all coming from. Before the VorTech all I had were a bunch of standard AquaClear powerheads with very narrow flow patterns.

2.) Yes, and another $500 if you can afford it for a second one (or look for deals on used ones in buy/sell forums). With two of them I'm able to dial them down to 75-80% which helps the noise factor (an occasional complaint about this from some folks, although I don't find it too bad). It also eliminates the dead area at the far end of the tank. I kept a conventional powerhead going to help this until I got the 2nd VorTech. With a single VorTech in your 5 foot tank, you'll need to keep one of your Koralias in service as well, although, I don't have a return so you may be able to adjust that and make it work without a Koralia. Another benefit of having two is the almost unlimited flexibilty for flow patterns you have using the wireless feature.

Other benefits I can think of:

Small footprint in tank;
No wiring in tank;
Battery backup available if you have even more cash (or build your own);
Customer service second to none;
Modular nature of the pump allows relatively easy replacement of parts, power supply, driver, dry side motor, wet side. So even though the up front cost is very high, if one of the components goes bad outside of warranty, the fix can be quite reasonable in cost;
Highly customizable flow adjustment right out of the box with multiple modes of operation available at your fingertips;
Easily repositioned if need be.

Cons that come to mind:

Not as silent as most powerheads you may be accustomed to. Dry side motor sound is most apparent in short pulse mode ramping from low rpm to 100%. Short pulse is commonly used for making waves. Personally I don't use this mode and with two of them dialed down it's not an issue. Ensuring the two sides are properly aligned will keep the sound reasonable;
Dry side is dry side, don't get any water on it or the driver. You also need to secure the power cord on the dry side in the event the wet side falls off, you don't want the dry side dropping to the floor or banging into your tank. The dry side and cord on the outside of the tank, while being a safety pro, can be a con as far as visual appearance on the outside. You also need 3 inches of clearance from any wall or other obstruction;
The dry and wet side need to be properly aligned to prevent overheating, excess noise and premature wear. This is not necessarily a true con, but something one needs to monitor and be aware of. If you have curious children that like to poke at stuff or are careless when cleaning around the pump, you could easily dislodge it and cause misalignment;
If someone is looking after your system while you're away, make sure they're very familiar with the operation of this thing. It does take a little more effort to set up properly than the average powerhead.

Whew, I think that about covers it. Probably missed a thing or two, but believe I covered the significant pros, cons etc... EcoTech should give me a discount on the 3rd pump I need in the future for this little bit of work...

Last edited by mike31154; 10-23-2009 at 05:42 AM.