View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 PM

ReefGrrl is on a distinguished road
Default Pumpkin (I think) flatworm update

This morning there were fewer than yesterday but on scrutinizing my corals I noticed the large hammer was mostly retracted and was horrified to see the exposed base flesh had the dreaded beige dots on it. 😱

Taking Myka's advice, I got the trusty baster and was able to remove a bunch of them. After I got whatever I could (it's in a hard-to-reach spot) I used the baster to fluff a bunch of water all around it and they started flying off in all directions! So there were lots of them. I also fluffed water at my bubble coral but nothing came off it, which is a relief. Might be a temporary relief, but I'll take it for now.

My plan now is to remove whatever I see on the glass every day and keep fluffing water around anything that looks even slightly in distress. I will also adjust my jeboa wave thing so the area around the hammer gets increased flow and see if that helps at all.

And I expect I will be dealing with more, when the eggs, if any, hatch.

The other thing I need to do is figure out whether parameters, nutrients, light, temp - any of these - are in a range that encourages growth and reproduction of these things. If there's something I can change that impacts only the flatworms, I'll do that.

Sigh. It's a journey...