View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I've been using ELMER'S Marine Epoxy Putty stick & it works fine. No need to special order or visit LFS for this stuff, it's available at most hardware stores & even discount $$$ stores, usually for $10 or less. Outer part of stick is a greenish colour while the core is white. It mixes up off white, which is fine by me. A little patience & coralline will do the job & make it blend into the surroundings. I would guess most of the epoxy stick formulations 'specifically' made for our hobby are much the same. Epoxy is epoxy, the only thing to watch out for is that some of the sticks made for automotive or certain type of plumbing repairs contain copper or other funky metallic additives not suitable for our tanks. Even so, once the epoxy cures, anything in the mixture is pretty much locked in, forever.

EITI: Ok, so after posting this I watched the YouTube on the Tunze stuff. I guess not all epoxy is created equal, but they did say it costs more.... How much I wonder & is the cost worth it? While features like mixing under water are impressive, is that something I typically do, no. It also doesn't take a lot of effort to dry my hands before mixing my cheap stuff. I suppose if you're doing A LOT of fragging or major rock building, the extra cost may be worth it

Last edited by mike31154; 01-07-2014 at 05:37 PM.