View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Would 250w SE bulbs on an HQI ballast be better then going with a 400w system?
Depends what you mean by "better"? The 250w SE on HQIs will be waaaaay more energy efficient. It also depends on whether you're doing 400w DE or SE. I would assume SE since there isn't much bulb choice in 400w DE. In that case, depending on which ballast and bulb you choose for both setups, the 400w SE setup is likely to only put out about 15-25% more PAR, but for 62.5% more energy.

midgetwaiter is right that the Ushio SE is the best choice. It runs the most efficient on an HQI ballast, and puts out the most PAR. The Ushio 10K is rather yellow though, so you may need to use stronger actinics to pull the color nicer.

I think you will be happier with the SE on HQI than with your current DEs, as I understand you only have 2 MH over a 6 foot tank. The coverage the SEs with have will be quite noticable in your case.

You need to check out this website: http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

You will find that the 250w Ushio 10K run on a PFO HQI ballast has the highest PAR in the 250w range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
I also forsee another problem, how do I keep my vho's when the MH reflectors take up all the room over the tank
The reason why I will never own a bowfront!!! The best bet is to pick a smaller pendant. Try the Lumenarc mini. BUT, (generally) the smaller the reflector, the less spread of light you will get. Honestly, you would be best off getting a third pendant and using the Lumenarc minis. Then you will have space for your VHO.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-04-2008 at 05:17 PM.