Thread: Which DSLR?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

If you can hold your nose while dealing with staff that patronize you the Camera Store is definitely the way to go in Calgary. They match anyone in terms of price, at one time they'd even match B&H. Vistek is some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced and Saneal is more for people that don't know what they are looking for. Saneal has decent staff but don't have the knowledge level that places like The Camera Store or Vistek have.

If you are an informed shopper prior to going in to buy you can usually save a few bucks at BestBuy if The Camera Store doesn't have what you're after in stock.

As to the question about IS for your macro lens I would say that would be the single best feature a macro lens could have. When you're shooting at < 3' and trying to catch a fish or snail etc. before it moves you pretty well have to be handholding your camera which means movement. The only lens I could see IS as more important to would be a long zoom lens. Can YOU justify the price is really what you want to know and I can't answer that for you. I know I'd get it if I were buying a new macro lens now.

70D is a great body but if you're just an occasional photographer and have made a D300 last this long I'd suggest one of the Rebel line models instead. They still have a steel mounting ring and are relatively rugged. Generally much cheaper too.