View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 AM

fixerupper is on a distinguished road

I truly sympathize with the original poster.

My story:
Back in 2013 I tried the DC3000 on my 40g cube and loved it so much I switched almost all of my pumps over to Waveline DC. Well, so much for being an 'early adopter'.

2xDC3000 shot just out of warranty.
2xDC5000 shot (one on my RLSS 8i Skimmer and one on my return) again, just out of warranty. Both of these were running only at no greater than 50% power and were cleaned every 2-3 of months. That's why I had 2 for each application. It made the maintenance schedule that much easier.
They started to shut down one by one. Impellers spin for a few seconds but won't stay running. Controllers are fine. It's the same for all of them.

I tried to contact Nick at Reef Supply Canada but he shut down his business. So then I emailed RLSS; about a year ago now. Never a response.
I gave RLSS another chance and sent an email 10 days ago with a follow up 3 days later...again, not-a-word-back!

I have no idea if I just need new impellers, other parts or if I'm just SOL.
With that kind of support (none!) who would be willing to throw more money at a brand with such poor reliability? I was seriously thinking of trying the newest generation with the problems (supposedly) addressed but I'd sure feel foolish if history repeated itself.

Every day I stare at my expensive skimmer just sitting in the corner of the fish room. It's a harsh reminder. Hopefully when my 3D printer arrives I can make a part to adapt a more reliable pump into the skimmer.

Sigh

20 year old Hagen 100g 6' mixed reef. 36g sump with multiple broken Waveline products removed. Lights T5-LED combo.
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Flame, 1 Blue Tang, 5 Green Chromis, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Asst'd hermits & snails.
2 large boxes of broken expensive aquarium crap. 1 x VERY understanding wife.