View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I recommend checking out web forums on keeping plant tanks to learn from other people's mistakes instead of making all the mistakes yourself. Believe me I have made plenty. Plant tanks work great when done right but there are a lot of pitfalls.

Basically you need to learn about lighting, substrate, nutrient fertilization, and CO2.

Do not waste money on plants at a fish store. Buy plants from other hobbyists. Most plant tank people prune out a bucketful of plants every week. You will save money.
I think it important to differentiate between adding plants to an aquarium for function(ie; nutrient export, a more natural balance & look ect...) and a "Planted Tank"(ie;plants being the main theme of the tank involving special substrates, CO2 injection and so on) If you just want to add a few plants for function, IMO, I wouldn't worry too much about making big mistakes. Based on my past experience, I would make the following recomendations for a "function" plant tank. You don't need it but, a fine substrate will grow plants much better that gravel. Make your plant selection based on your water chemistry and lighting. For example, if you keep fish that favor a low ph, select a plant that will grow in low ph-java fern does really well in acidic water and lower light. A comunity tank with a neutral ph will grow others well. I highly recomend Amazon sword for a neutral to somewhat acid water. I don't have any recomendations for high ph because I never kept fish that favored those conditions. Also, check with others in your area to see what does well in your local water. I would also add some fertilizer suppliment once in a while-I recomend the kent freshwater plant fertilizer. You don't need it all the time, the idea here is for your plants to grow on the nitrates from your fish. The fertilizer will replace the micro-nurients they don't get from your fish. And lastly, make sure your fish are plant safe-I don't need to explain that one! A"planted tank" is another story, so certainly do your research beforehand if that's what your doing.