View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Kien now that your back home and the powers on, how's the tank doing?
It appears as though the remainder of my fish and inverts are OK. They all appear healthy and ate voraciously yesterday. Some of my LPS are still deflated as are some SPS. Some have recovered so corals are a mixed bag at the moment. Clams are not quiet as full as they normally are. I already had a batch of NSW mixed up before we evacuated so I will do a water change today.

All in all, I am totally shocked that the tank didn't suffer a full on crash or that there were not more casualties. The water was completely stagnant for over 12 hours resulting in a significant reduction in oxygen. Heat was also a minor issue dropping down to 71. I knew that a temp of 71 wasn't catastrophic though but was sure some of my more sensitive inverts like starfish would have been toast. It was a very gradual drop though which I'm sure gave the fish time to adapt. I was lucky that the house was fairly warm. If it was winter time the temperature would have dropped much further and definitely into critical territory. I knew that not having lights on for 24 hours wasn't a big deal. The reefs go through that all the time during storms. To me the essentials were oxygenation and flow with temperature coming in a close third. In the end that was all I needed to keep the tank hobbling along for the duration of the outage. Will report back as I observe what the corals do over the next while.