View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free to a good home - Starry Puffer

'Maui' is about 7-8". Eats clams, squid, shrimp, scallops, ect.

Long story but J&L sold me this guy as a Mappa Puffer. My mistake for trusting them. The fish was small and pattern was hard to make out. Anyways, awesome fish. Very peaceful, so much personality but going to get massive. They get listed at all kinds of sizes but after speaking to some people from the US who have kept them, most likely scenario is 28-36".

Sigh... way too large for pretty much any home aquarium so not sure what will ultimately happen with this guy but hoping someone who has something in the 400-500G range may be interested.

He will outgrow my 84"x30" tank within the next two years, I think.

I've grown very attached to this 'little' guy but I know I cannot keep him long term.

On a side note, I tried to speak to J&L about this but they refuse to answer me, which is unfortunate. I honestly had no idea about Starry puffers and I feel like they had a responsibility to one, not bring these in and two, if they do, find a suitable home. Thinking back on all this, I realize that I do think the person working in the fish room knew what he was because when I asked about the 'Mappa' puffers, they said there are no Mappa's but when I pointed this guy out, they said 'Ohhhh, yeah, THAT mappa, yeah...'. Sigh...