Thread: MadChild's 75
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 AM

madchild is on a distinguished road
Default MadChild's 75

Let me start by saying this; Ive made a few rookie mistakes. Ive spent more money that I would have if I had done more research:

I've had lots of tanks in the past, but they have always been freshwater. About 10 years ago I sold off all my FW equipment and haven't had a tank since.

A few months back, my wife thought it would be a good idea to get my 3 year old son a small Betta tank. After hooking it up and getting it going, she showed some interest in getting a bigger FW tank. We went to the LFS and picked up a Fluval Edge 12 gallon. The little Fluval tank got the old juices flowing and had me thinking about a good sized Reef that I couldnt afford when I was younger.

Over the holidays we picked up a bunch of stuff to get a reef tank going.

75G Marineland Tank & Stand
Aqueon Proflex 3 Refugium
Eheim 200W Heater
Coralife 120G Super Skimmer
2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050 Power Heads
Aquatic Life T5 & LED Fixtre
Some generic LED Refugium Light

Anyways, here's a few pics of the system after we set it up:

Then we went and added some LR

So after about 2 weeks of having it up and running, and after finding these lovely forums and doing some research I realized some mistakes.

Went and saw Denny at Concept and ordered a new sump. While I was there I also got 2 Radion G2's and a new Reef Octopus PS-1000INT skimmer.

Also picked up a BRS GFO/Carbon Dual Reactor, an Autotopoff.com ATO and a RO/DI unit from AquaSafe.

MP10wES and an Apex controller were the next few things I picked up.

I decided to put the tank on its own 15 amp circuit to the breaker panel. Installed a GFCI plug and 4 more plugs downstream on a switch so I can shut them off. Also installed an e-stop that will kill all power to the circuit and it located by the door to the sump room.