View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have had a CS-6-2+ for years and I will not buy a Euro-Reef again.

The good points are: it does a fairly decent job of skimming. The collection cup is easy to detach for skimming.

The bad points are:

1. The pump is noisy. Euro-Reef could have spent a bit more money and used Eheim pumps, they didn't.

2. The riser pipe becomes impossible to adjust after a while. You need to make a gate valve mod or the skimmer will not be adjustable. It is a hassle and expense to get the parts and build a gate valve mod. Euro-Reef could have included the gate valve on the output for about $10.00 more but they chose not to.

3. The customer service attitude is the worst. My skimmer shipped without an O-ring between the collection cup and the neck of the skimmer. I didn't notice this for the first couple of months because the union fit snug if I tightened it enough, and their instructions did not mention any O-ring. Later when I found out I was missing the O-ring I asked Euro-Reef to send me one and thre treated me as if I were a criminal trying to scam them. Fortunately J & L came through and sent me a free O-ring.

For the above reasons, but mostly reason #3, I won't buy any more Euro-Reef products.

From all the skimmer reviews I have read, I would chose ASM if cost was a factor, Barr Aquatics/Austin Oceans if quality was the main factor.