View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 AM

Layottb is on a distinguished road
Default My latest experience with Calgary fish shops.

I realize the last post in this thread was from 2017. My apologies for resurrecting it, if maybe I shouldn't have?.
After being out of the fish-keeping hobby for several years, I'm getting the urge to get back into it. I've been to a couple shops in Calgary, and I wanted to tell my experience, and get some insight, or recommendations from you all that know much more than I do.
A couple years ago, I went to check out GOLD AQUARIUMS. I went on one of my days off, during the week. It appears I showed up on a shipment day, as I walked in, and was told they were actually closed that day. I won't say I was told rudely, or anything. Just that they weren't open that day. I was disappointed, but I understand. I haven't actually been there since.
Last week I went to Calgary and intended on checking out a couple shops. First I went to OCEAN CREATION, and sure enough..they were closed that day. Again, disappointment. I then went across the street to WAI'S and was(and still am) impressed by his HUGE Puffer! I looked around a bit, thought it was..ok. I can't remember if the customer he was talking to when I left was there when I walked in but..he never acknowledged my presence at all. So..whatever. After reading this thread, I'm not interested in giving him any business.
Next, I went to CONCEPT AQUARIUMS. When I got there, there was a little note on the door that they'd be back at 2:05pm(about 15-20 minutes from when I got there. So, I hung out and went back at that time. I waited around the door(cause they hadn't opened yet), until someone came out and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I read online that they didn't have livestock, and such anymore, but were just building aquariums. I was under the assumption that a person could still walk in and check out different builds and stuff. I was told, 'nope' and that to email them with any questions. From there I went to my last stop..PISCES PET EMPORIUM. Of course, they're a huge store so..of course they'd have tons of stock. I like how they have different aquarium kits to get back into the hobby. I started talked to one of the staff there, and she was very friendly, and helpful. I easily spent over an hour chatting with her, and asking questions. After I let her go back to working with the Betta's, I walked around a little more. I came up with a couple other questions, and asked one of the guy's. He was really cool and helpful, as well. I WILL say that I wasn't approached when I was by myself for several minutes. I walked past several employees and no one batted an eyelash at me. I would say that was a negative mark against them(in my eyes), however, Once I talked to the two people that I talked to..I wasn't VERY peeved. In saying that, I work retail and know how it goes. So, rather than judge them very negatively because of that, I just feel kind of indifferent. It's always nice to be approached, and feel welcomed but, I don't have a problem approaching a staff member and asking questions. I suppose it depends on the day. At this time..it's not worth me getting upset over. I have enough things to worry about. That being said, I feel confident that if I bought from them, they'd be reasonable and be able to help me with advice and questions(what I don't find on the internet, anyway). I'm under no illusion in that they want my $$$, I know that..but from what I've experienced at shops so far, in Calgary, Pisces seems like the place to go(at least that's what I think).
After reading all of that, does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Maybe I'm missing something, or there's a store, or dealer that I don't know about? YEARS ago, I remember going to Big Als, and thought that was pretty ok. I see that they no longer have a location in Calgary. That seems surprising to me. The other one I remember from years ago was Riverfront(?), but I know they're gone, as well.
Anyway, thanks for reading! I hope to hear from you reefers with experience with the Calgary stores!
Take care, all!!

Kennan