View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Cyano is expected when you do any sort of organic carbon dosing. The reason is because the water will suddenly be nutrient poor which causes the nutrients to leech from your rocks and substrate into the water column because the nutrients in the water and the nutrients in the rock always want to be the same as each other. As the nutrients are leeching out of the rocks and substrate cyano moves in and takes advantage of the suddenly high flow of nutrients moving out of the rock where it starts sucking up the nutrients before the nutrients get into the water. This is kind of handy because now you have all these nutrients bound up in this nice little cyano covering. All you have to do is daily siphoning of the cyano (use a piece of rigid airline tubing the same length as your tank height, and add some flexible airline tubing to reach down into a bucket) in the evenings before it starts to retreat. As you're siphoning the cyano out you're removing super power packs of nutrients. Eventually the rocks and substrate will quit leeching and you will not have to siphon cyano out anymore. If you don't siphon the cyano out then at night the cyano will disintegrate releasing the nutrients into the water column where algae can take advantage or the cyano will reuse it later. So if you ever see cyano you really should siphon it out!

For the record, I had poor results with vodka dosing, and won't do that again. I have heard that vinegar is a better option, but I haven't tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaangel View Post
Thats what it looked like when I came home a week after the 26oz overdose even. 97% death rate
This has to be a typo...you didn't put 26 ounces in there did you??? Was it watered down?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.