View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

I have carbon dosed for years off and on (mostly vinegar). It is a powerful method to control nutrients. I have never gotten cyno from dosing. The only negative side effect I have run into was a thin layer of white bacterial film on the glass and rocks. It almost looks like the green algae film you get on your glass after a day or two but instead of it being green its white. The other side effect I have notice over the years is due to over dosing. if you over dose and strip your water of all its nitrates and phosphates and your DKH is above 8 certain sps corals will get burnt tips or get pale. You can quickly resolve this when you stop dosing and feed extra. I also find adding amino acids and a few zeovit products will help with pale colors. Because of carbon dosing I do not get any algae growth in my tank and I can get away with feeding a lot and not having to worry about excess nutrients. I have to give a fair warning it is always better to dose less than suggested by most and it takes a couple of days to a few weeks to begin to work. It is very easy to over dose which can do more harm than good.