Thread: Vortech Failure
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
No argument on the product's functionality, just it's reliability. These pumps are meant to replace multiple smaller pumps which, when they work, is great. However when they fail, they represent a single point of failure that means NO FLOW until it's fixed. For those of us who upgrade from other powerheads that we KEPT, we can hobble along. For those who either jumped right into one of these or sold their old powerheads......well....that can be a real problem.

These products are priced at a real premium and as such should represent premium value -which, for a mission-critical component, means RELIABILITY.

I'd be curious to see some hard numbers on how many of these have been sold and how many have had issues. From my perspective, there's an unusually high number of problems but for all I know, the problems represent 1% of all the units in the field -a pretty respectable number from a manufacturing point of view. Now we're never going to see those numbers so we only have perceptions to go on.

As someome starting to plan for a larger tank in the future and who was planning on putting an MP40 in it, I have to tell you, I'm pretty nervous about spending $500 on a pump and have it fail 1 month after the warranty is over. I'm pretty handy and have a full shop so changing the bearings doesn't scare me but the point is that for $500, I shouldn't HAVE to.
Personally I have NOT had any failures of any sort.... I have had them get a bit noisy, and Ecotech has been great in replacing one dry side component, and offering to replace the second if I desire.

Great service, and no failure for me so far, so I still recommend.

Mark, I think overall the only complaint is that they can get noisy. We all know that they can break, like any other moving part. But I don't think the breakage and the numbers broken are the issue here overall. I do believe they are a higher quality component, as you stated they should be. As long as the company stands by their products, service and support then that should be what matters.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk