View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Are the Eheim's pretty quiet?

Danny, I want a slow rate because I only want about 5x turnover for the sump. I tried first with a Mag5 but I couldn't get a level drop into the overflow box, it seemed as if the overflow wasn't able to draw water out of the overflow faster than it could enter. So while it wasn't overwhelming the overflow, there was no "waterfall" effect into the overflow box, which I want for 2 reasons: 1) I want any oil slick stuff to go into the overflow and 2) I don't want small fish to swim freely in and out of the overflow. So I actually went down to a mag3 and while I think this is more like 3.5x turnover I was able to tune the overflow to get that level drop I was hoping for.

There could be a problem with my overflow so I'm going to look at changing it around as well (I have issues with it burping as well as the pump noise), but in the meantime there's still the issue of the pump being loud, so basically I want a new pump that can fit the bill for super quiet running, and really I just want the minimum flowrate through the sump rather than the maximum. All I have the sump for is filtration (bioballs) and level control. The heater is in the main tank (actually a substrate heater since this is a planted FW tank).