View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 08:17 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't think messing around with the flow in the sump is going to change anything for you. With a bio pellet reactor the bacteria is contained within the reactor. since you have the output of the reactor going straight into the skimmer, the skimmer pulls out all of that bacteria that escapes.

Biopellets always work, but in my experience it is very important to have that output of the reactor going into the skimmer.

I'm more concerned though that you need to run biopellets or some kind of carbon dosing to keep the nutrients down. You should not need to use any of these options long-term if you're doing effective aquarium maintenance, you have a good quality and appropriately sized protein skimmer, and your tank is not overstocked.
I agree with you Mindy on my tank being on the more heavy side of stocked. I definitely battle nutrients on a regular basis using the NOPO-X for carbon dosing has worked well to achieve 2-5ppm nitrates. I still have to use GFO in a reactor to keep my phosphate down. I am pretty dillegent with tank maintenance and do 20% biweekly WC.

I have decided to purchase a larger tank which will be done through Concept (305 gallon total). I’m hoping this will make a big difference in the high nutrient level. Until then I have backed down my carbon dosing to 12ml daily and by the sounds of it will not be getting rid of this slime for a while.

I am planning on running a biopellet reactor, looked at the AquaMaxx reactors but I may get an actual bubble magus or reef octopus biochurn to do the job. In your experience if I discontinue the carbon dosing via liquid in to the main water column and contain with a reactor will the slime eventually go away. Obviously I will siphon majority of it out. I really don’t want slime in my brand new system.

Thanks