View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 04:31 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road
Default 6 or 8 bulb, dimmable or non dimmable. HELP!

Hi all,

I'm looking for a nudge in the general direction of an ATI fixture and I can't convince myself of which one to go for.

I plan on buying a 55 gallon tank (36Lx20Hx18W) and want to get an ATi fixture to go above it.

I know that most would normally say 'the more bulbs the merrier' but is it really needed? I'm thinking, although it wouldn't be a tonne of difference, if I don't need 8 bulbs then why bother paying for the extra electricity and bulb costs if it isn't needed.

So I guess my question is, for an sps tank of that size would you go 6 or 8 bulb?

Now onto part 2......

Dimmable or non dimmable?

I like the dimmable for the single reason that it uses one plug for both circuits and fans. The non-dimmable uses a plug for each of the two light circuits and then a third plug for the fans.

However, with the price difference between the two I could buy an eb4 and the non-dimmable and the plug issue is a moot point plus I would now have an extra outlet spare. I don't think I would even use the dimmable feature anyway.

Let me know what you would do and help me stop internal dialogue in my head as to what to do.

Muchos gracias,
Dunc