Thread: Fish Trap
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 11:58 PM

Xtasia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Xtasia

An interesting find from Wet web media..

Any idea how to catch it in a 60 gallon aquarium full of corals and rock? Goodbye acros.....sniff

I don't think traps are/would be as effective with these little guys but you can go that route if you have access to one. I caught five of the little devils out of a 375g Acro tank using a version of a "slurp" gun...It won't be easy, but it can be done. I rigged rigid tubing to one end of a ball-valve, flexible tubing to the other end (long enough to reach the sump and provide some mobility to move along the length of the tank), and attached a filter sock to the end of the flex tubing to trap the fish. I started a siphon in the tubing and shut the valve...I then began my stalk...in about an hour I had all five safely bagged (unharmed) and ready for transport to the LFS. The "gun" works surprisingly well. The more drop you have going to the sump (i.e. - more suction) the better it works. What you have to do is creep up on the fish, getting as close as possible with the end of the rigid tubing, and then crank the valve open letting the suction pull in the fish. If the fish dashes in to the rocks, just go in after it with the tubing...though I found stealth and patience to work best. I used 1" diameter tubing and valve (more flow), but I believe 3/4" would do a good job as well.