View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 AM

bonbon is on a distinguished road
Question help!!! - beginner tank setup

Hi Everybody.

I have no experience with fw or sw tanks before but I'm planning to set up my first sw tank. There's just a few questions that I need some help with. Feel free to suggest anything that I need to be aware of or need to know~

I'm planning to set up a 22g (36"x12"x12") tank and raise a pair of clownfish, several shrimps and some corals.
I've done some research on corals and here's a list of corals that I'm interested in getting that are more for beginners (I think):

Leather Umbrella Coral
Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral
Green Star Polyps
Colt Corals
Bubble
Fox Coral
Palys Coral
Kenya Tree Coral
Blue Clove Polyps

Now I'm having some trouble picking the right equipment for my setup and I want to get the best bang for the buck~

Lighting:
I read that a reef tank needs 4-6 watts per gallon and I was wondering which type of lighting I need to get: PC, T5HO, or MH lighting
and how much wattage do I need for my tank?

I was looking at the Aqualight High Output T5 30" or the Coralife 36" 2x96watt light. Any suggestions?

Powerhead:
I have access to a free Koralia 3. Is that enough flow for my tank or not enuf?

Filter:
As for the filter, I read on some sites that live rock is the only filtration that you need. Is that right? Or should I put a HOB filter? And if so, is an AC 30 good enough?

Any suggestions on this or any other pointers would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS!!