View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 AM

reef93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I lost most of my 2006 pictures in a Windows crash... Otherwise I'd show something better.

First I pushed the grey riser tube right to the bottom and got rid of the annoying sponge. The mod is as follows: 90 degree elbow on top of riser tube, a T off of the 90 degree, gate valve below the T, tie it all together with some short lengths of PVC pipe and add a an additional length to the top of the T. The location of the 90 degree and the T is probably interchangeable. I don't recall exactly why I put them where they were.

Restrict the gate valve to achieve the desired foam hight in the skimmer. Water comes up the grey riser tube, through the 90 degree elbow, into then partially up the T and then down and out the gate valve. Back then if I were to look down through the top of the T I'd see the water level slightly up into the top. Water would exit smoothly out of the bottom with only a trace amount of bubbles but no splashing or gurgling noise. The white speckles in my picture are little calcium tube building worms of some sort.

Now if the water level in your sump is a lot lower than mine was you might still have an issue. I had a 55gal as a sump so I think my skimmer was sitting in 10-12" of water.

I hope this helps.

I don't know how I can say that I am very appreciative for all your time to write down all the instructions plus an additional picture of your skimmer. Now my skimmer is deadly silent, I couldn't believe it after I had mod it. I can actually sleep right beside it now (no exaggeration) and it is saved me a few hundred bucks not having to buy a new skimmer too.
Million, million thanks to you Whatcaneyedo.