View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 02:58 PM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Since I make the Foz Down I thought I'd answer your questions.

You don't have to get the dose 100% accurate. Foz Down is a much safer concentration than other products on the market therefore it is much harder to overdose. What happens if you significantly overdose... you start to get a fine white dust forming on the bottom of the tank. This is the excess Foz Down binding with the alk in the water. You can vacuum it out if you choose to or leave it there. No ill effects either way.

When your using it in the correct dosage the flocs that settle out are not visible on the rocks or bottom of the tank. You don't need to try and remove them if you don't want to.

Nothing happens over time as they are inert because it's a one way chemical reaction. The same type of reaction that occurs when adding alkalinity mix to calcium mix. The flocs that form are totally inert unless you add them to Hydrochloric acid.

I've heard lots of anecdotal stories as well. The thing with anecdotal stories is that all the info is frequently not given so one can't make any valid deductions. As well, there are a lot of things that happen in a tank that people are not aware of. I have been using Foz Down in my acro system for a lot of years and not had any problems what so ever. It's a very safe and effective product that renders GFO reactors obsolete.

I am sure that as the hobby continues to mature there will be better methods that become available for nutrient export. Until then, Foz Down is the safest most cost effective method of Phosphate Control.

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks for the info Tim.

Not expecting you to give away the secret sauce's 11 herbs and spices, but I've always assumed Foz Down is a Lanthanum Chloride based product. I figured overdosing Foz Down would have the same effect as overdosing Lanthanum Chloride = Massive dip in Alk.

I agree on your point about anecdotal stories. Often, people jump to conclusions when the answer isn't clear.

I do like the idea of the product as I've spent far too much money on GFO over the years. I've recently stopped using GFO and just about gave Foz Down a try, but instead decided to go the bacterial route. This also carries risk of overdosing. Different strokes for different folks. Perhaps I'll try Foz Down some time in the future, feels like I've tried almost everything else in this hobby.