View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 01:16 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson. View Post
Hello

How many gallons is your tank? You say 400g - 500g would be suitable, and of course bigger would be better. You know much more about this species and specific specimen than do I, however live aquaria lists minimum tank size at 300g. Of course, they as a retailer have a vested interest to sell these fish to as many people as possible, but I find these ratings are typically accurate. I say this because I am setting up a 300g fowlr, within the month if not the next. It is not a tank, its more of a tub. It is 69" long, 63" wide, and 24" deep. Its an oval. This provides more swimming room than a lot of tanks because of its shape. If you can't find a home for your beloved pet, I'd be glad to take care of it. I planned on keeping a puffer anyway.

I can give you more details if needed, let me know what you think.
I agree that Live Aquaria is somewhat accurate but not this time. I guess it's a tough fish to list requirements for. In my opinion, there is no home aquarium that is actually suitable which is why I am trying to contact the Vancouver Aquarium. They should not be sold and I wish I had not accidentally mis-identified this fish when I bought him. Anyways...

The problem with something like 69" long, even at 63" wide is that potentially this fish would be more than half the length of that tub. They sometimes get listed as growing to 48" although I have spoken to some experts who said to more realistically expect 32-36" max. They also said often in home aquariums it's even as small as 30".

Then there is filtration. He is eating so much at 8/9" and I can't imagine how much he will eat at 30"!! In theory a dozen shrimp and half a dozen clams per day. I am just cautious about passing this problem off to someone else.

I potentially have a 700G tank for him to go to but I have still been holding out for the Aquarium, which I know is unlikely but would be the best home for this animal.

300G wouldn't be large enough for more than a few years I would think. My tank is 7' x 3' and I can't imagine him being in there for more than another year... if my filtration can handle him. Right now the tank is struggling to keep up.