View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I'm good, thanks. Busy, as I'm sure you know how that is :-)

That's interesting that you ditched the pellets. Curious as to why? Were they causing a problem ? I'm actually thinking about switching to a different carbon dosing method too. My pellet reactor is acting up. Mostly the pump as it's not fluidizing my pellets as well anymore. I'll probably switch to vinegar or vinegar-vodka.
There were no issues with the pellets at all. I don't think the bacteria was using the pellets as a source as it took over a year and a half to consume all the pellets. To prove a point, I took the pellets off but continued with the occasional vinegar dosing. It's been over two months and both no3 and po4 remained unchanged at .2 and .01-.02. The tank did have a spike in both no3 and po4 couple weeks ago due to a death to two clams ( no3 was at 2 and po4 was at .09) however, after two wcs over the last 4 weeks these numbers have dropped down to 1 and .04 and I expect it to drop back to the old numbers soon.

If you do change, why not just dose only vinegar and see how the tank reacts to it first before adding vodka?
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller