View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
My only problem with using a strobe or speed light is I lose the fluorescing colors I get from the attinics in my lighting. Now mind you the colors I do get are far more true, but not really what is expected to be seen in a tank. For clown fish this is less of an issue then say a hammer coral or zoa's or something.

In my tank with all my lights turned up I can already shoot at 1/250 shutter at f3.2 ISO 800, So I am shooting at most peoples max sync speed already.

I am not sure what camera you are using, but I am going to assume FF as your profiles that google gave me said you love natural light, so you should be able to get some great high iso shots too.
But then you have high speed sync too, which is fun to play with, but I have not really found a place for it in what I shoot.
I use a 5d mark ii... the sync speed on it is only 1/200 but i usually use 1/160

but when shooting with strobes i put my iso at 100 and shutter speed at 1/160

and then control the aperture to achieve the look i want.

using a speedlight to shoot in water will let you control where you want the light and it'll give you more light so as a result you'll get a sharper image when shooting through the glass.

by controlling the light, you can achieve a completely black background like this