View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

I applaud the decision to go with dwarfs.
Hopefully BWA will have some in soon.
For what it's worth, I had twelve years of reefing experience with ten tanks on the go when I started my first seahorse tank.
All it did was to make me think I could succeed in doing things that many failed at doing with seahorses.
Seahorses are a completely new experience.
There probably are not too many fish (and I never encountered any) than can succumb so fast to so many different pathogens that seahorses can.
Seahorses require more husbandry than a reef to try and prevent bacterial infections like vibriosis that they are soooo prone to.
In fact, many hobbyists on seahorse.org have reported reef problems after adding seahorses to their tanks due to the messy eating habits of seahorses. (well, hobbyists with seahorses that manages to survive reefing conditions that is)
As for feeling secure, I don't know anyone that can tell you whether or not seahorse feel secure in a given set up, they can only presume to know.
In fact, many seahorse live within a very small range in their natural habitat. I have seen documentation by Amanda Vincent where some stay within a few cubic feet of water their whole lives.
Of course that is not all seahorses as seahorses are known to live in a very wide range of water situations from shallow estuaries and waterways to much deeper water, from low flow areas to high flow areas.