Thread: 28g JBJ HQI
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 03:12 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

Well its time for a long overdue update. My bubble coral died (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61551). I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped. Once it was gone what I thought was part of it's skeleton, moved and turned out to be a tiny clam.

I had a large battle with nitrates that I finally won. 3-4 water changes a week did nothing. I finally started dosing sugar and that worked slowly but as soon as I started cutting back the nitrates came back. I finally bought an eshops75 HOB skimmer and within a week I had 0 nitrates and have ever since.

I added a yellow watchman and a purple fire fish. I think that will pretty much be it fish in this tank.

I added pulsing xenia, an open brain, and some mushrooms. Most of the mushrooms died right away and the remaining ones don't look like they will make it. I can't find any cause, all I can think of is maybe shock from the MH light. I don't know if maybe I need to learn how to acclimate corals to the light. Half the xenia shriveled up and died as well when they were added. The other half looked good and then started to die as well. I moved it up to the top of the tank and it rebounded great and is doing well. Makes me wonder if the new 20k bulb is maybe not putting out.

I discovered IO salts shortcomings and started dosing it for my water changes. Right after that something began using up the calcium and alk at insane rates and I had a steep learning curve (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66997). I added a JBJ ATO controller with an aqualifter pump using full strength kalk for top off water. This helped with stability but my alk still drops 1 dkh per week.

I'll add new pictures when I get a chance.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.