View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAshworth View Post
Thanks for your input mike31154, it was quite informative! I have decided to go with the VorTech's. I'm going to start out with x2 Mp40w Es and then later on, when my wallet permits me, pick up an additional Mp10w Es. Once my tank arrives I'll make sure to post a journal so anyone can follow

Ps: mike31154 may i pm you in the future if i have any questions regarding the VorTech's? It seems like you're quite familiar with the product.
Sure thing, pm away, but also feel free to ask questions in the thread here. That way everyone benefits from the exchange.

I purchased my first MP40 quite some time ago, April 2008 I think, so that's over 5 years of running & it's still going strong. In fact it had the Gen 1 magnet which would start rusting about 6 months after seeing salt water. Needless to say, EcoTech changed that design in a hurry. It also had the original controller, not the newer EcoSmart ones. Other than the new wet side magnet, which EcoTech provided at a bargain price, the ugrade to EcoSmart controller, the only things I've replaced on this old pump are a few wear parts on the wet side, like the ceramic bearing & shaft I think.

After that I kept my eyes peeled on forums & picked up several used MP40s. At one point I had a couple extra & sold them. I was also able to sell the original non EcoSmart controllers. Always a market out there for used VorTech parts. Not sure the same can be said of some other products. Many powerheads are not as easily or cost effectively repaired as the VorTechs. The modular design of the wet side makes it easy. Dry sides seem to run forever IME, but there's definitely a difference in the sound my original one makes compared to some of the newer ones I have. They are a bit quieter, so I'm sure EcoTech is working on that issue. They are certainly well aware of it, they read forums like the rest of us.

All 3 of my currently running pumps have been running without a problem for years now. A while back I replaced some of the wet side wear items on all of them. Kits are available & price is not bad. If you have to buy a complete wet side, that's going to cost a bit more, but so far I've not needed to go that route. As far as cleaning, I've found the less I mess around with them, the better they run. I've never soaked the wet sides in vinegar to clean them. All I do is every few water changes take a toothbrush to the wet side. The key to longevity with these is to really make sure you get them aligned properly. With an ear against the tank as you're tweaking the position of the wet side, it's pretty clear when you've found the sweet spot. To double check alignment, I'll sometimes run them in short pulse mode. The rapid ramping up to full power can also help you determine how well they are aligned, or not.