View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
What do you have in the works for electrical? I would suggest you dedicate at least two different breakers so that if one pops the tank will still remain half-running. I run all my lights on one breaker (so if they have trouble they only kick out half the system) and my pumps are split between two different breakers. I have (2) 20-amp breakers...one is GFCI protected, the other has GFCI receptacles.
The first post of the thread goes through his electrical setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by b09u5 View Post

Seeing all of the glass in the house, I was motivated to get moving on the electrical and ventilation for the room. I wanted each section: display tank; sump; and frag tank, to be on separate circuits and for everything to be run on GFI outlets. This way, if I have a catastrophic failure of any device, none of the others should be affected. To do this, I needed to either get a new electrical panel, as mine is did not have the room to accommodate additional breakers, or set up a sub-panel near the aquarium room and run the separate services from there.

As I am planning for a hot tub and air conditioning unit in upcoming years (may need the AC sooner due to the heat from the aquariums), I chose to run a 3 conductor/2 gauge wire from the existing panel to the fish room for a sub-panel. This was more of a pain in the ass than anticipated, but 3 hours later, it was done.

IMG_2685 by gschaus, on Flickr

IMG_2699 by gschaus, on Flickr

IMG_2700 by gschaus, on Flickr

IMG_2703 by gschaus, on Flickr

From there, I had an electrician run the wiring for the three separate 15Amp services and had him run some extra wire for the ventilation of the room.

IMG_2720 by gschaus, on Flickr

IMG_2718 by gschaus, on Flickr

IMG_2722 by gschaus, on Flickr

They call it addiction for a reason...