Thread: Nyos Skimmers?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 03:00 PM

1bigfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Anyone used a Nyos skimmer? I am looking at the 300 which gets really great reviews but since it is quite expensive, I am still hoping to hear people's personal experience with the 300 or a smaller version. People claim it is silent and from what I can (or cannot) hear in videos, it is but I am always skeptical when I read that a skimmer is silent.

This will be for a 200G (heavily stocked because of two puffers who never stop eating) and then eventually the plan is a 500G with the same fish.

https://www.aquariumdepot.ca/nyos-qu...n-skimmer.html
I bought the nyos 160 based on claims of silent and it wasn’t. It skimmed smelly stuff extremely well, but the AC pump for me was loud and the air silencer didn’t work so well.(tank in living room). I did manage to “customize” the air silencer to quiet it down, put the skimmer on a silicone hit pot pad which helped. I was disappointed for over $600 it wasn’t silent. On restarts, the pump will cavitate sometimes and not want to start up. I bought the great white dalua gw7 skimmer with a dc pump. The best skimmer I’ve ever had and it’s so quiet I have to look in the sump to see if it’s working, and no break in period it just started working. Just my 2 cents