Thread: I had it
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
One little simplification for water change is to skip the draining into 55g, do it a few times and mark the level of tank or sump or both and then just drain to that level in the future. Moving forward I'd use one 55 for ro/di water storage the other 55 for saltwater mixing and storage.

Tunze controllers I'd start by thoroughly cleaning every thing, including all electrical contacts and see what happens. Your storage container cleaning sounds fine, if not even over kill, it was only beer not some toxic chemical.

Get into it, work on it, change it and I'll turn around for you and you can be proud of your tank again soon, we all get lazy in this hobby once and a while.
reason why I will work with 2 x 55 gallon is because thy are in the basement, and because of that, I cant see the water in the tank when preforming the change.

I will have a solid line running from the sump to fill the measuring drum (if the line came from the tank, it could catch a fish as it is a 1 -1/2inch line.

with the 1-1/2 line a 55 gal water change should last about 2 minutes from emptying to filling, currently it is a scenario that takes a hour, floor wet, drums in the living room for 2 days mixing, we hated it and thus did not do it.

also decided to do lots of water changes, maybe each 10 days as it should go fast (my approach to turn this thing around is to try a year or maybe 2 to invest in water changes more, than dumping in additives ..

after a year or so, I can re-asses what the increase water changes have dun for me

the pumps,

I always kept clean, soak in vinegar and such, and so far I can only conclude that that is not it, it must be the contacts (the little pins),

I got the pumps new 3 years ago, but controller and cables where used, and kind of from the beginning I have been struggling a bit.

i have all cables nice on a board in line and numbered, but than unplugging re adjusting cables made a mess of of it, and I'm at the point that I gust had it with the mess, it needs to work and things need to develop, not hang in there, and when I open the door of the filter room, I see a spider web of wires (in front of a board with all nice lines drawn with numbers)