View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Lisa I find that with flouresants that your tank will have certain colors WRT the lights that you have let's look at the Daylight bulbs, its more of a 6500K and will grow algae same as the mid day bulbs. With that being said i have used the Cdn tire 6500 bulbs and grow lots of corals with them. if you can stand the color then you are GTG keep in mind. The ocean when you look at the color you see you get either a light -med blue or a mid yellow look at shallow reefs. The t-5's that your 20 gal tank has i would check to see if you can run the standard T-8's in them some of the units will allow that. but for color I would pop in if you are wanting some color and plan on staying withthe T-5's a
Coral plus
12000K x2
purple plus
that should give you a nice blue hue but not alot.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane View Post
I've got a 20gallon reef tank with mixed corals. The fixture I have is running T5 bulbs and it is able to have 4 bulbs total but they've been burning out.

Since the actinic and sun wave bulbs have burnt out, the bulbs left are a coral wave and an aquablue special.

I thought this would have a negative effect on the corals but since the loss of the daylight and actinic my corals have increased in color in a very noticable way along with size and growth rate.

Any idea's why this would be the case and should I try adding more bulbs again or just leave it all as is?

Do you know what the long term affects of having just the blue and wave bulbs would be?