View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 AM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Aren't they something like 60 lbs ? I'm guessing mine is around 50lbs. Scary stuff. I would never trust anything but screws into the ceiling joists. Let's see this badboy!
Here is a good little page for those that want to hang heavy objects from the ceiling using toggle or butterfly bolts.....

Here is a little excerpt from the link...........

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infanchor.html

Toggle bolts are the Cadillac (or Lexus, if you prefer) of hollow-wall anchors. They consist of two parts... the toggle itself (which looks like a pair of spring-loaded metal wings) and the accompanying machine screw. Toggle bolts are sized in two ways... by the diameter of the machine screw and by the length of the machine screw. The larger the screw diameter, the larger and stronger the toggle. The longer the screw, the thicker the material that can be hung or the thicker the wall it can be used in!

Toggles are massively strong. A "puny" 1/8" toggle can safely hold 50 lbs on 1/2" drywall... a 3/8" toggle over 100 lbs! Two or three 3/8" toggles can easily hold up most kitchen cabinets on solid 1/2" drywall. That is, as long as the wall is strong enough!

Toggles are the toggle of choice for hanging most anything from ceilings, too, such as hanging plants, mobiles, etc. The major exceptions would be "dynamic" objects such as ceiling fans, which require attachment to structural members. Also, though excessive weight may not break a large toggle through the ceiling, the ceiling itself may pull away from the joists!