Thread: Lighting advice
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
The Kessils are pricey! $1000 per light and $160 for the arms (per light)! I cover my whole tank at 7" off the water surface. The Kessils have what they call "Kessil Logic" built in. What this is, is you can choose between white all the way to a very deep blue on a kind of a color wheel in the app. You can also add red and green but I dont mess with them much. The "Kessil Logic" is preset values of color blending. You can not adjust individual colors like you can with the Radions. You have, I think, 10 different shades of blue/white with the Kessil Logic and then your red and blue which you can adjust. The Kessils are VERY powerful lights. I am running them at 65%.
We have both tanks in the same room, and looking at them both, the visual appeal of the Kessils (to Jan and I), is better than the Radions. Makes the colors of the corals pop, shimmer is awesome and growth has been good. The geek in me likes how much adjustability the Radions have tho. But in the end,,,I set em and forget em! Kessil is not compatible with Apex yet but controllable on your phone. Radions are not. You sign into Ecosmart Live for the Radions, make your changes, plug one of the lights into the laptop, and apply the changes to the lights. kind of a pain in the butt...But that is all fixed once an Apex is added! Both have storm and cloud cover, and moonlight features, Radion wins with this as they are just that more adjustable. The Kessils moonlight suck...but that is said to be fixed with the new Beta testing that I haven't signed into yet. The Ap700 lights are a very sleek design and look better over the tank than the Radions. I cant really compare growth between the two tanks as the RSM 250 is a Seahorse tank filled with zoas and gorgs, and the reef tank with the Kessils is predominantly sps with some lps.

Here is a look at the Kessil Logic wheel. I only use the left half of the wheel

awesome write up. Im liking the wheel aspect as I hate playing around with the individual color levels. and with their coverage, im thinking I can get away with 2 of these on my tank.