View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 11:24 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone an engineer? Tank placement question (townhouse)

I live in a townhouse and have a question regarding tank placement on the second floor. Hopefully I can explain this without a drawing.

Tank is 72" x 24" x 18" tall (water level is more like 16.5"). Sump holds about 35-40 gallons so that puts the tank at around 150 G total.

The place is open concept so the second floor is basically a large rectangle (roughly 40' x 20')and the floor joists are parallel to the 40' wall. Underneath the side of the room that will have the tank is the garage and about 11' into the length of the garage there is a beam running across the 20' width which I think is made from 4 - 2x10's. Then roughly another 10' is the interior garage wall which I believe to be load bearing. So the floor joists are supported by a beam and a load bearing wall.

I hope that makes sense.

I want to put the tank across as many beams as possible but I can't put it on one of the outside load bearing walls because they are all windows. The best spot is against a partition wall which is directly over the beam in the garage. So the tank would be near that beam and over about 4 floor joists. I am wondering if this is a good idea?