View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

I spent 3 weeks in Bali and I would go back tomorrow if I could. Out of all the places I've travelled, I think it is the ideal mix of beaches, culture and nightlife and shopping for native crafts. I think more people probably go there for the surf than the diving. I snorkeled of the eastern end of the island and although, I saw a stonefish, I thought the snorkeling was much better in Fiji.

Most of the cheap accomodation is around Kuta and the resorts are at the south end of the Island so your contact could probably inform you where the diving resorts are but I believe they are on the volcanic north end of the island which is quieter and a little out of the way.

Once you plan your trip, you may find that it changes from just a diving holiday because there is so much to do. If you are in the Kuta area, you can rent bikes and cycle past the rice paddies to the markets in Denpassar or to the temple at Uluwatu at the southern tip of the Island. There are scores of thousand year old temples all over the island. Some have bats living in them, others crawling monkeys and one is on a little rock island that you can walk to at low tide - watch out for the sea snakes nesting in the crevices.

The area around Kuta has gentle sloping sand beaches with no rocks that is perfect for body surfing or boogie boarding. Waves were about 6 - 10 feet when I was there.

The Balinese music, dancing and culture is very unique because Bali's religion is Hindu surrounded by the Muslim majority in the rest of Indonesia.

Because of this, there have been the terrorist attacks and I believe the Australian government still has a travel advisory for its citizens This also means it is very cheap. There is a travel agent here in Vancouver with a package for air, hotel and breakfasts for 2 weeks starting at $1299. Its a long way from Canada so plan an itinery that gives you a stop over in Japan, Hong Kong or Singapore so you don't waste any time recovering from a long plane ride when you arrive.