Thread: It begins...
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 PM

squibege is on a distinguished road

Tank went salty on Feb 4th! Temp was set around 79 and SG was around 1.025. I dosed some tank safe ammonia to about 1.0ppm and added "StartSmart complete" for saltwater that "instantly cycles aquariums" (add fish at recommended population and tank will be cycled in 24h). Yea at 24h I still had 1.0ppm of ammonia and ZERO nitrite. I knew it wouldn't really be 24h but I was at least looking for a dent...

Went out and got some LR the next day. Fed some coral food to make sure the bacteria has something to munch on. So far I have found a few snails and one feather duster on my LR and odd bits of stuff that's alive but I sure can't start to identify. I know 'nothing good happens fast' but I REALLY want to get the cycle going so I can start intentionally adding critters!

Dry rock was more or less 'scaped but then I just plunked the LR on top for now. I know I should get more LR and I plan to do so and add it to the sump. Should I get my sand (dry and live) in sooner rather than later? It's not in yet because I wanted to at least sort of finalize the rock structure before adding substrate.