Thread: It begins...
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I think it's a great idea to start with a small tank now so that you learn some of the ropes before you jump into a big tank. The thing with big tanks is that mistakes are bigger and more expensive. Plus, if you can look after a nano tank, a big tank will be a breeze!

I also like the Innovative Marine Nuvo tanks, but I think the 10-gallon one is too small, plus I don't like the LED lights it comes with (they aren't blue enough). There is a Nuvo 40-gallon one that I really like. I think the tank and stand are just under $1000 new, and then you can buy lights and a heater and you're golden. Say $1100-1200 all in brand new. Or find a used one maybe?

I highly recommend buying T5 lights because they are EASY. The IM 40-gallon is 24" long so T5s are an easy fit. I run an aquarium maintenance business, and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to consult for people and their biggest issue is their LED settings. For this reason, I don't like LEDs for newbies. FWIW, I run T5s over my own tank too.

I have a display tank that I run for advertising purposes at a local dive shop here. It's a Nuvo 40 with a 2-bulb T5 fixture on it with two ATI Blue Plus bulbs. The tank is so easy, and colorful! All the corals do great with the lights. I'll be seeing it tomorrow and if I remember I'll take a pic and upload it so you can check it out.

SPS fanatic.