Thread: It begins...
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 AM

squibege is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWR View Post
I think it all depends on your available time and money. If you are short on either, a smaller tank may be in order. If I had to pick a tank for someone to start with (not considering future use as QT), I'd pick the IM Nuvo 10. You can get a tank + light for about $350. Add a heater and you are gtg. It's so small if you do regular water changes there's no need for a skimmer. Without a skimmer, reactor, or powerheads, it's as quiet as can be. Easily moved, easily cleaned, and easy to find your small things like Pom Pom crabs. You also get to see if dealing with making and storing rodi water and saltwater is a bother of not. If it turns out it's not for you, you aren't out much. If you do want more, you will have had the time to get used to things and be more familiar with the hobby to make a good choice for your next tank.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks! That’s one of my main concerns- what if this isn’t really for me/ doesn’t fit into the lifestyle I want to have. We have a cat because dogs tie you down too much, I don’t want to be scared to go on vacation because of a tank. That being said my dad is a fish guy (who decided all the maintenance he had to do with childhood chores in the 60s/70s was bad enough not to ever get a tank as a grown up) so he would probably be okay with taking care of things short term for a couple weeks.