Thread: It begins...
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 11:19 PM

F.H is on a distinguished road

I'm of the same belief, that no amount of research is enough =), and I've learned one thing in this hobby so far: There will be exceptions for literally everything. Try to figure out the "average" of the answers to your questions. You can literally ask any ridiculous question, and someone, somewhere will say otherwise and make you second guess everything you've researched. I would say to err on the side of caution, and although there may be exceptions to the case, if *most* people say that, for example, an angelfish is not reef safe, then it's safe to assume that it's not reef safe, regardless of the exceptions. It is then up to you to decide whether you want to risk it, and if you do, which do you like more, the fish or the corals that may potentially become dinner.

What I've gathered about pom pom crabs is that they can possibly harm corals, because their "pom poms" are actually tiny anemones, which can sting corals. A similar, and even more interesting crab, in my opinion, is the porcelain crab. Comparable to the pom pom crab, except there isn't the risk of them burning a coral because they don't carry any "pom poms", instead, they have fans as hands, and wave them around in the water to filter it. I love watching them do that. Just a suggestion.

The one thing to remember is that the smaller the tank, the easier it is for parameters to fluctuate. The evaporation in a 10 gallon tank will raise the salinity much quicker, because there is less water to work with, etc. I would opt for the biggest tank that is feasible. Your idea of getting a smaller tank now, learning as much as you can before the move is a smart one, in my opinion. That way, when you have figured out the basics, and learned the ins and outs of reefkeeping, you will be in a much better and informed position to plan the set up of your dream tank after you move. This was the one mistake I made, and built an aquarium before I knew anything about reefkeeping. Now, I wish I had been more informed before I installed my aquarium at home, and my setup would definitely have been a lot more practical, and efficient.

You'll learn, as you research and ask questions, that one of the best aspects of this hobby is the people. Ignoring all the transparent drama, most people that you encounter in this hobby will love to answer any questions and help you where they can. So ask lots of questions. Lots (atleast I do, and those who have met me know that I can be annoying at times with all my questions :P).

Ignore most of the advice that you receive from a local fish store, keeping in mind that they are a business first. Of course, once again, there are exceptions to this, and some LFS actually do give proper advice, but that is more dependent on the individuals themselves. Always, do some quick research first before making a purchase, and try to shy away from impulse buying for your sake, and for the sake of the organisms in question.

I work with a student's budget, so I try to be as frugal as possible, where necessary. I would say all of my equipment is used, but I'm very careful when I buy used things. I test everything I buy, and ask lots of questions. If things seem too good to be true, or seem a little sketchy then don't hesitate to pass on the item.

With that said, my aquarium does not have a sump, so I can't give you any insight on the pros of having one. Of course, the absolute BASICS of a reef tank literally require a box with water, live rock, heater and power heads. I would say that a protein skimmer should also be in that list, but you CAN have an aquarium without it, I was just listing the absolute basics of what you need. From what I've gathered, it's that a sump basically makes life a lot more practical and convenient for having a reef. Although my aquarium doesn't have one, in hindsight I wish I did. With not having a sump, my main form of filtration is my live rock, and therefore I tried to cram in as much live rock as I could fit, while still having it look decent.

Another suggestion that I would make is to plan out your water change strategy, and make them as easy as possible. If water changes are too annoying or a pain in the ass, then you'll be less inclined to do them, which will be the biggest reason why your tank might suffer. Water changes are one of the most important aspects of reefkeeping. Make them easy to do.

Don't use a canister filter. They can become nitrate factories. They're a freshwater thing. Usually people suggest to divide the "suggested gallon rating" by half. If you have a 40 gallon tank, then buying a skimmer rated for around 80 gallons would be ideal.

Good luck, keep reading, and ask questions. Remember, literally nothing good happens quickly in reefkeeping. You need patience, with everything. Lots, and lots of patience.