View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 10:43 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigstud View Post
Any adbice on the most effective way to setup a QT?
I'm challeneged for space.
I have always set up QT's when needed, meaning I don't keep it running all the time.

What I do is... keep ceramic biomedia in my main tanks sump, if you don't have a sump you can keep it in your main display somewhere. When I am going to buy fish, I pull out my QT tank and put the biomedia in a HOB filter. Add a heater and some PVC pieces for the fish to hide in. I let that sit for a few days and then add fish. I also like to have an ammonia badge (cheap on amazon) so I always know right away if there is an ammonia issue. You can keep something like 'Prime' on hand in case of an ammonia issue. It will temporarily detoxify ammonia. Keep in mind if you use a product to detox ammonia, your test kits or monitor will still read ammonia in the water, it is just not toxic to fish for a period of time.

Since my QT's are usually around 20G, I try and buy small fish. In the past when I was buying some large fish, I used larger rubbermaids that I re-purposed as storage after.

If the fish show signs of disease, you can then decide how to treat them and turn the QT into a hospital tank.

Once QT is done, I just sanitize everything and put it in storage. You should throw away the ceramic balls after QT and put new ones in your sump for next time.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 02-21-2020 at 10:45 PM.