View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
You are so right on this. I left the hobby 6 years ago and am coming back now. The price of the coral I was fragging out and selling at $20-$40 per frag is now going for double to triple that! Man if I stayed in the hobby....my old tank would have been considered a secondary income haha
Sam Edelman here. Took a break for a few years and when we bought our own house I got back in. Just about fell over when I saw coral That used to sell for $20 going for 10x the price and half the size.

The other thing at have noticed is a large price tag today and in a year it’s totally forgotten about. I think people are spending large on pieces, stretching out their income, and then trying to make their money back as fast as they can. In a year everyone has the piece and it’s old news. The pyramid scheme used to take years now it’s taking months.

However it’s not just corals, I remember buying purple tangs for $75 - -90, now they are $180-$250. I used to sell Achilles for under $200, now look.

It’s great to see captive breeding going so far as well buy it’s sad to see people paying huge dollars for defective fish. I think people would be surprised just how deformed captive bred clownfish are compared to their wild counter parts. It’s seems the mind set of its swims fine, eats fine, and poops fine so sell it has taken over and people are okay with that.

Last edited by Ryan; 11-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.